Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Missha Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail Sleeping Mask Review



A very good, but not amazing, sleeping mask that gets good results with relatively little snail mucin (15%). More after the jump.
Where to buy:
misshaus.com  $22.50
testerkorea.com $17.50
koreadepart.com $16.28
w2beauty.com $27.74
roseroseshop.com $15.84 (on sale currently)
kocomall.com $18.74

Description: Snail Sleeping Mask gives a cell renewing benefit for bright, healthy skin.Contains 15% Snail Slime Extract to provide vitality to the skin. Botanical Stem Cells supply energy to skin cells. The Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail Sleeping Mask firms and rejuvenates skin while you sleep (from misshaus.com).

Claims to
~ brighten
~ firm
~ rejuvenate

IngredientsChamaecyparis Obtusa Water (Japanese Cypress Water), Snail Secretion Filtrate, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Caprylic Triglyceride, Behenyl Alcohol, Adansonia Digitata Seed Extract (Baobob Seed Oil), Cetearyl Alcohol, Sucrose Polystearate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sorbitol, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disodium EDTA, Centella Asiatica Meristem Cell Culture, Xanthan Gum, Fragrance (Parfum), Hydroxyisohexyl 3 – Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Limonene (from skinandtonics.com)



Scent:
 I'm really bad at describing scents... it's a nice scent, fresh and reminiscent of cucumber. It's about medium strength, but you don't smell it much once you've applied it. I like it a lot, it's very relaxing. It is a bit strong though! So if you're sensitive to smells, watch out! :0

Packaging: Missha in general has a more mature look for their packaging- this sleeping mask is no different. I think it's pretty cute despite being more 'mature'. I very much like the fact that it's pretty hygienic as well, so you don't need to worry about getting gross bacteria in your sleeping pack! Definitely an advantage over the sleeping packs you find in jars. Very happy with the packaging. :)

HYGIENE 

Swatch: It's an interesting texture, I'm not really a big fan of it. It comes out quite thick; the texture reminds me of a hair wax almost. Once you start rubbing it in it applies smoothly, but as I'll discuss later it never fully sinks in- leaving a greasy film that's a bit uncomfy. I'm not sure if you can see it in the kind of weird picture I've taken below, but it's definitely a bit of a wax-y texture. There is no runniness to it.


Results: I think this sleeping mask is pretty effective. It's not amazing or a HG product, but it's good. When I wake up the morning after applying it, my skin is glowing and relatively more even-toned. I'm not sure how much this helps fade marks, but it does help with general redness.

I feel that it really helps with soothing acne- a few days ago I got one of those painful pimples that sits under the surface for awhile before erupting into grossness. I've been using the sleeping pack every night since then, and ahem:

Day One) Still angry, but not any worse. Less painful, less red.
Day Two) Basically can't tell that it's there unless I press on the spot. Barely noticeable redness.
Day Three) Tiny bump, no redness, nothing more.

So yes. It is good for treating acne once it's come out, but there are some negatives as well. One of my personal complaints is that, while slightly moisturizing, it's not quite enough to suit my needs. Additionally, it leaves a kind of greasy film on your skin, and takes about 20 minutes for the stickiness to fade enough to lay your head on a pillow. The morning after my skin looks nice, but definitely a gross kind of shiny from the texture, but without the benefit of a lot of moisture.

Conclusion: Final Score: 4/5

Pros:
  • reduced redness overall
  • leaves skin glowing
  • smells nice
  • good for treating acne
  • hygienic packaging
Cons:
  • leaves a greasy film the day after
  • not as moisturizing as I want/need
  • not sure how much it helps fade hyperpigmentation
  • doesn't have a ton of snail secretion in comparison to similarly priced products

6 comments:

  1. I'm definitely loving the snail extract hype - it's done wonders for my skin. You would think that a sleeping pack would have a higher concentration! Thanks for the review ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that snail extract is becoming a thing now! :) Thank you for the review! I'm not sure if I can handle a greasy film - my skin is oily and I don't want to add more oil to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review! snail extract is interesting O_O! looking forward to your upcoming posts~!

    xoxo,
    www.whimsicalityindisguise.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might be good for me. My skin is oily so I don't need a lot of moisturising properties. Hmmm. Thanks for the review. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've wanted to try this, because i read quite a nice review about this sleeping mask and also because of the snail's popularity in skincare product.

    nice review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This snail extract thing sounds fishy to me but it seems to work fine :) Love your reviews and site <3

    http://www.mjauki.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...