Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Benton Aloe Propolis Soothing Gel (Benton Review Series #4)


First of all, I made a dumb mistake. I gave this product away about a month ago, thinking I wouldn't review it. But then the person I gave it to left it in a different country so... now I can't get any pictures of it. Very sorry about that, I'll be using official pictures instead. 

Anyway, this is the first Benton product I actively disliked, which is realistic I suppose. It would be remarkable if I loved every single product in a series... speaking of which, this is part of my 6-part Benton review series! Feel free to check out the rest.

This review is part of the 6 part Benton review series! 
4. Benton Aloe Propolis Soothing Gel
5. Benton Snail Bee High Content Lotion
5. Benton Snail Bee High Content Steam Cream

I'll be adding links to the series at the introduction of each review, look out for them over the next couple weeks!
Where to buy:
roseroseshop.com - $10.24 (on sale at the time of writing)
testerkorea.com - $15 (roughly)
w2beauty.com - $16
jolse.com - $16.98
Here is their GMarket Shop

Description: Benton's Aloe Propolis Soothing Gel is made for all skin types, especially acne-prone and sensitive. The product contains 80% aloe baradensis leaf juice, and 10% propolis extract to prevent skin damage. Recommended for sun-damaged skin, sensitive skin, troubled skin, dry skin, oily skin, and skin that is sensitive to chemicals.

Claims
Calming
Good for Sensitive Skin
No Parabens
No Alcohol
No Artificial Fragrances or Coloring

IngredientsAloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (80%), Propolis Extract (10%), Glycerin, Arginine, Allantoin, Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Cross Polymer, Zanthoxylum Piperitum Fruit Extract, Pulsatilla Koreana Extract, Usnea Barbata (Lichen) Extract


I might start including the CosDNA analyses when I can, because ~knowledge is power~.

The ingredients list is great for sensitive skin- for example, it doesn't have any fatty alcohols in it! Fatty alcohols like cetyl alcohol can be comedogenic for some people, which means it can clog their pores and cause acne. This gel only has non-comedogenic ingredients, which is a great thing for the acne prone.

Scent: In the words of my boyfriend: 'gross,' 'metallic,' and 'weird'. It's not extremely strong, but whatever causes the scent smells really unappealing. It kind of reminds me of BO. I don't really know what else to say beyond that I find the scent distracting and bad.

Packaging: Simple, hygienic, practical. It's very similar to the Snail Bee High Content Essence, just that it's larger and uses green instead of brown. The pump works well. No complaints! :)



Swatch: The gel is very similar in texture to the Snail Bee High Content Essence. It's very light and absorbs quickly, though it dries to a kind of tacky finish. It doesn't leave my skin feeling hydrated or bouncy like some moisturizers... just slightly, slightly more hydrated. My chemical exfoliators do a better job of moisturizing than this, truth be told. Meh.

Results: Despite an amazing ingredients list,this gel just doesn't work for my skintype. I'm too dry. To start with, this isn't hydrating enough... then combine that with the gross metallic scent and off-putting tacky finish, and I'm not a fan of it. I wish it worked for me, but it doesn't. The only thing I really like about this product is how calming it is. It does help reduce redness temporarily, but so do the other Benton products. There's a reason I gave it away. This is definitely much better suited for normal to oily, acne-prone skin types.

Conclusion: Final Score: 3/5

Pros:
  • great ingredients
  • calms skin
  • absorbs quickly
Cons:
  • very little hydration
  • smells like metallic BO

8 comments:

  1. It sounds great actually, but I'm certain I won't be able to stand the 'metallic' smell. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it makes you feel better, a lot of people have said that they don't smell anything. So it might just be an individual thing :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the nice review dear! Your blog is really lovely!

    Following you on GFC&Bloglovin! Let’s follow each other!
    I hope we will keep in touch. ♡

    ❤ ✿ NEW POST ✿ ❤
    Rinako

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't a fan of this one too. It leaves my skin feeling dryer than when I started >..>

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got some samples of this among with toner. And I know it's weird but I can smell in it something... nutty 0o the smell strongly reminds me about something, but I can't recall what lol. But we must have completly different noses, coz I can smell it in toner as well, when for you toner was unscented :) anyway, shame this didn't work for you :/ I'm just waiting for some breakout to see how it works ;)
    P.S. I just made a review of Skin Food Royal Honey products, you may like it since you have dry skin xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have a great blog! Btw mind to check out my blog? maybe we can follow each other :)

    www.thebeautyyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a shame about the sent!! great blog! Ps- let me know if you would like to follow each other! xx haemeandrobecca.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! Sounds like this would be a really great product to get once summer arrives x)
    xoxo
    Serainie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...